I know, I know. At my last post, I said I’d give you an update, and then I vanished for another week. Turns out I got another Spinrite assignment with a completely ridiculous deadline, so I had to spend all my spare time knitting. So what have I been doing?
Last time I posted, it was October 21 and the trees were all pretty. Today, the trees are bare. However, we got substantial snowfall last night, and the world was beautiful when I looked out the window this morning. In between, it was dreary and wet. Bleh.
There was Halloween! I made Zebula’s costume from a former bridesmaid dress generously donated by K. I’m inordinately proud of the job I did. I started with this:
Notice the row of rhinestones at the top of the bodice.
I took the entire thing apart, and picked out the seams, so that I’d have all the pieces as large as possible. The rhinestones turned out to be a ribbon, which was neat. I kept everything, included the zipper, and through a combination of blind faith and eyeballing, cut the pieces I needed and produced this:
Zebula has a completely ridiculous look on her face (I don’t remember what she was saying), but look! I sewed a workable garment! I saved myself some hemming by making the skirt pieces using the already hemmed bottom part of the skirt fabric off the original dress. I put the rhinestones at the waist. I used the zipper from the original dress. I had run out of the dress fabric and ended up making sleeves out of some pink tulle stuff from one of Zebula’s torn dress-up dresses, but since that stuff is extra flimsy, the sleeves didn’t survive the school Halloween parade. So after we got home that afternoon, I used the lining fabric to make sleeves. I’m pretty proud of it (as you may have noticed) and Zebula’s been wearing it pretty frequently since then.
I also spun stuff and plied it into actual yarn!
That’s about 400m of fingering-ish weight yarn – my spinning is far from even. I think it’s destined to be a scarf and hat for the new winter coat I bought a couple weeks ago. That little bit of roving is all that’s left. I’m sure it’ll take another two years to spin it.
There was the short-order sweater from Spinrite. I sent it off without taking a picture of it finished. But here it is, blocking:
The wool was Patons Classic Wool, which was very well suited for the cables. I wasn’t crazy about the colour, but the sweater was really nice to work on. I had less than two weeks to work on this one, and just squeaked it in.
Zebula’s hat got finished:
Sadly, I ran out of yarn. There really should be another stripe before the rolled brim, since you can’t really see the snowflake pattern when Zebula is wearing it. Also, the picture got taken and uploaded before I realized that she had the jog from the circular colour changes right in the middle of her forehead.
I’ve been working on the Yosemite, but I had to put it down in frustration. It took me about four tries before I got the collar right. Then I made a sleeve, hated the way it looked when I put the sweater on, and put the whole thing in the naughty corner.
And then I got my latest Spinrite project. I hastily accepted it when it was offered to me on Nov. 7th. I was told that it was due on the 17th (10 days for 7 small socks. No sweat). Then when I got the yarn on the 10th (since the 7th was a Friday), I realized it had to be couriered off on the 14th for it to get back to the office on the 17th, which is a Monday (4 days for 7 socks! Aiee!) I tried my best, but then asked for an extension at the last minute and got one, squandered my time, and ended up staying up late to finish off the last sock anyway. I sent them off this morning.
The yarn is Yünteks Alize. It’s a wool and nylon yarn with an elastic core. Makes nice stretchy socks, but it’s really hard to get gauge – I ended up using 3.75mm needles for a yarn that looked like it needed a 2.5mm. My next project from Spinrite is coming on Thursday – a shrug made from Alpaca and Bamboo. Should be very soft, whatever the pattern might be.
I’ve also started some undies. Yep! Apparently, the KW chapter of the Red Cross is 100 years old this year, and to celebrate, they’ve asked for volunteers from the Guild to knit war patterns from the 40’s. Stuff for the men and women who were serving, mostly socks and hats and the like. But one pattern for “ladies’ knickers”. I leapt at the chance. They’re ridiculously small (the waist, stretched, will measure 28 inches in circumference), but fun to work on.
And in among all that, the consumption of entirely too many mini-chocolate bars, a short-lived cold, a ‘book’ club meeting, a visit to Toronto with the kids on the train, and the beginning of a paint job that I’m doing in 1.5 hour increments while Vorlon is in preschool. Oh, and there was a Guild meeting last week with some demos on drop spindling. I think I want a drop spindle for my birthday. Just what I need. Another hobby.